Friday, December 14, 2012

It's my band not yours!

Cacalina (remember my cousin who often pooped her pants) and I when we were kids started a girl group inspired by the  early 90's girl group SWV (Sisters with Voices).  We would practice in the field adjacent to the Forty Flags Motel.  We would play SWV in the background so loudly our voices synced with the music. We had convinced ourselves we sounded just like the actual group. In reality we sounded like dying cats. We thought this could be our saving grace from the roach motel and neglectful parents we grew up with.  We would first make our way to Ed McMahon on Star Search and eventually get a record deal and become famous and tell everyone we hated to suck it. Our dreams were shattered when Cacalina's older sister and my first cousin Antoinetta (we shall call her) decided to take over and stated "I think we should revamp the group and I could be the lead singer". We were thoroughly pissed but somehow let her dictate the group. We now practiced in the living room on top of the coffee table and tried popular dance moves, the Running Man, Roger Rabbit, and Tootsie Roll.  Behind Antoinetta's back we would say how much we hated her and wished she would just get hit by a car or something (we were 9 at the time and had no real understanding of the consequences of someone getting hit by oncoming traffic).  One day as we all practiced our dancing and singing my brothers and uncle Frankie walked in and started to laugh so loudly and hysterically I ran into the bathroom and stayed there for about 10 minutes. Once I came out they pretty much let me have it. The reality of my real singing voice came to light and all the fantasies of jumping a train to make  it to Star Search were shattered since I had no actual musical talent. My meeting with Ed McMahon would never happen nor would be able to tell all the haters to suck it.  Cacalina and I were crushed and Antoinetta decided to move on to boys leaving us in the dust with our barbie dolls and combs we used as microphones. Damn you all to hell! I still sometimes fantasize about singing (with someone else's voice) in front of an audience and flipping the bird after I am done. Here are a couple videos of 90's girl groups we gave our likeness to, mind you we were 9 and 10 year old Mexican girls, one with a pooping problem who was often mistaken for a young boy and the other so shy she ran to the bathroom in any awkward situation (we lived in a motel with a living room and bedroom there were no other rooms to hide in).

No comments:

Post a Comment