Friday, October 28, 2011

Happy Halloween!

One of my fondest childhood memories is going trick or treating with my family. One year my mother took my brother Cream Puff (when he was at his most creamy and puffiest), my cousin which we called Cacalina at the time (she was notorious for pooping herself) and I trick or treating. This seems normal enough for any family on Halloween in America but not for my family. Cream Puff's costume was homemade with a Chevy's hat and drawn on mustache and red paint all over his face we called it a Mexican clown. Cacalina and I coordinated our outfits as flappers with dresses stalkings and all. My Granny was pretty busy and decided it would be a good idea to let my mom who was fully intoxicated at the time chaperon us. The weather was dark and chilly with some light drizzle coming down as we walked out of a sketchy looking motel on to the streets with a Mexican clown, two Flappers, and a mother with a small brown paper bag (not the kind you get at Bloomingdale's). At one point my mother was rolling around in one of the neighbors lawn making a spectacle for all to see. She asked us to push her on the lawn as she peed her pants on our Halloween journey. We laughed at her not fully comprehending the now obvious issue. This was normal for us. Later that night we met up with my older brothers and uncle Frankie who at the time were busy smashing pumpkins and terrorizing younger kids for their candy.  We all came back home and bartered our candies as my mother laughed and sang out of tune in the background holding her little brown paper bag. Others might say how could I make light of such a story well you didn't go home with a pillow case filled with candy and warm memories of your mom fully participating in the Halloween extravaganza.  Have a safe and joyous Halloween.  I'll always love my mama.




No comments:

Post a Comment