Tuesday, April 12, 2011

It's a Funeral Time to Celebrate!


Funerals are time to mourn the loss of a loved one. I have been to plenty of funerals in my lifetime.  At one point I had gone to a funeral every year and sometimes twice or three times a year during my childhood.  They were usually filled with over the top crying, yelling, fainting and talking about how close everyone seemed to be with the person who died, who before passing was known to be a loner. At one point I over heard someone saying they thought the person who's funeral they were attending had on something of theirs and wanted it back at that very moment, gasp! I came across this article in the NY Times and thought to myself why can't every funeral be a party? This would spare us all witnessing some of the awkward moments that come with attending a funeral including the one person threatening to throw themselves in the grave with the dead and begging God to take them instead. Let's not forget the random guy no one seems to know making a speech about how much they loved the deceased. The Ghanaian funeral party experience allows friends and family to celebrate the life of the deceased.  Yes a Mardi Gras decorated casket is over the top but not only are you reminded to celebrate life but also inspired to help the family of the deceased or any cause they are associated with.  My attempt at making funerals more festive and eventful did not go so well when I tried a comedy routine at my own mother's wake. I could hear the crickets in the room but in the midst of the silence I heard a few chuckles. I like to think that was her laughing with me as she would have been the only one to get it. Please read the following article and let me know what you think.  I probably wouldn’t be attending any Ghanaian funeral parties in the near future as I prefer my funerals filled with awkward moments and gasps.


http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/12/nyregion/12funerals.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp

No comments:

Post a Comment