Monday, November 14, 2011

The Mission

Walking through the Mission I am excited by all the small vendors and smells of tender meats cooking street side. Not the vendors that claim to sell organic produce but the vendors who own the shabby surplus shops and push carts. My Boo Thang and I walk through all the shops void of any hipsters and tourist and are reminded by our mother lands, we can finally speak the language of haggling. You can't do that at these hipster trendy spots where they claim all the best products from Indian tea to Brazilian potions and lotions marked up at least 200%, yet seem to lack flavor and soul. Who do they think they are fooling?  If I like something yet know it's over priced I feel I have the right to dispute this, you can't do this at Therapy across the way on Valencia. It's a bit surreal to see this crumbling of a civilization happen right before our eyes. Each small colorful shop filled with people of color speaking all sorts of languages some familiar some I have never heard of replaced with a stale looking brunch, coffee, or retail shops and restaurants that specialize in small plates (no thank you I want a whole burger please) with cashiers covered in tattoo's and fake thick rimmed glasses. And these damn ironic shops that sell cupcakes and blasts loud gangster rap with a small dork girl with blue hair (can I punch you in the stomach and leave with my $4 mini cupcake please?) I must admit I frequent these shops and love my Philz coffee and understand that the gentrification would mean that the Mission will soon become just like every other place void of character and flavorful food true to its region.  I can always go to Richmond on 23rd Street and Oakland on International Blvd  to find my fix of food and stores I can haggle my way through but I will miss walking through the Mission with the back drop of the city risking food poisoning while searching for papusas, lumpia, tortas, gyros, and dosas. And everyone turns a blind eye to people beating their children publicly and local strangers are more than happy to help you chase down your child to beat some more

No comments:

Post a Comment